View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats45 View Post
I watched Pete Hittlinger's DVD, Principles For Better Practice, last night. He talked about how sometimes his practice did not include playing any songs. Lately, I have spent most of my time working with a metronome while practicing fingerstyle patterns. Since fingerstyle is new for me I lose a bit of my timing changing chords, even though I'm an intermediate player and changing chords goes without thought.

Do you find that exercises such as this are helpful to your playing? Have you experienced similar when moving into a different style or genre?
Hi kats...

I think one needs a long view of his/her playing life. When we are new student, or switching genres, or learning new techniques, then of course it demands time and attention to technique.

Then as we begin to apply the new style/technique to songs, we need to practice those. Room can be made in a practice regime to do both. Practice is only as effective as our ability to not go brain numb from extreme repetition or boredom.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…