View Single Post
Old 05-05-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky View Post
I have a bunch. They start at the No. 25...all laminate as are the No. 60 and the No. 80...the No. 100 is all solid maple, the 120 is mahogany though I have seen the 120 in maple as wel...l and the 150 is Palisander rosewood...this applies to the ones I own and have seen here in Japan, can`t say that for each and every one they built. I have them all except the 25, though I am satisfied with the 60 and 80 I don`t feel the need to add another all laminate. From the info I have they were made from the early `60s to the mid `60s when Yamaha introduced their GC models, can`t compare them to newer stuff because I don`t own any, all of mine are old ones and I actually have more of the Dynamics which go back to the early 1950s...the Dynamics have fatter thicker necks than the later models from the `60s which have necks closer to what we find on later Yamaha classicals today including the ones made today. There were other Yamahas too...they cam in three models and as far as I can tell they were made around the early 1960s to...the No. 45, 85 and 300....I have the 45s and 85s...only seen the 300 in books...but the 45 and 85 are all solid natural flamed maple and share the fat necks of the Dynamics as opposed to the true classical necks, but the 45s and 85s I have are right up there with my No. 100, 120 and 150s...I have 14 of these early classical types and 30 of the Dynamics...personally I prefer the Dynamic tone...very deep and well rounded but others may feel differently. If you like the No. 150 then it would be worth looking into the Dynamics too, all solid wood and very well made which should go without saying since I am still playing mine and I`m certain they will outlive me. The reason I have so many of these old Yamahas is because the prices are so low they`re hard to refuse, lots of people are after the red label FGs now while the old Dynamics and early classical types go almost unnoticed, I`ve said it before and I`ll say it again, I`m still looking for an FG that sounds better then my old Dynamics. But...the old Yamaha nylon strings have a hold on me and I just love em to bits.
If you do a search on the site you will see pics of mine, they`ve been posted before in threads so I won`t post em again.

you can see this Japanese site dedicated to the old Yamaha nylon strings and get an idea on the models they made, some were for export...like the #30, 50 and 70...same guitars but with different inlays and rosettes... which can be identified by the arched YAMAHA across the headstock while the domestic models had the logo running straight across the top. You will notice different labels, from what I`ve read the white with red dotted border label came out in 1960 which is when they reached a 6 digit serial, seen on the neck block through the sound hole...my earliest #1 has a 3 digit serial. But we can only get a ballpark time frame from the label color...nobody seems to really know precise years for each different label though we know the order in which they changed so we can tell the oldest from the newest but thats it. So far Yamaha has not spilled the beans on their old acoustics so all we can do is guess. But the guys at the linked site have them running in order of appearance...oldest at the top of the page.
http://www.geocities.jp/mmasmcb/catalog.html
May I inform you that the no.25 has a solid top not all laminate.