View Single Post
Old 01-17-2017, 04:31 PM

Nice goin' Bob! Making solid progress it sounds like. Fully agree that this is great material. I'm still churning through the same pages as last week, but I'm slowly getting better with some of the things that are proving difficult. The rest stop is something I need to work on because I still have the tendency to accidentally sound an adjacent string. For instance, in the simplest form of a G Run, I sometimes misjudge the force needed to perform a rest stop on the G note, and accidentally hit the adjacent B string instead of coming to rest on it. Because I value my marriage, I wait until my wife is not in the house so that I can play all those G-Runs over and over and over. I'm pretty sure that she hates the song "Wildwood Flower" by now.

Some of the "mixing it up" examples are really good, but they may be insufficient on their own to cement some of these lessons into my thick head. I think I'll be spending some time in the next few weeks on making my own "mixing it up" style progressions, incorporating G-runs (and rest stops), slurs, and various bass-runs. I also want to take the advice of trying to transcribe some bass runs of early pioneers in an effort to work on ear training--something I'm ashamed to admit that I've neglected due to the ever-tempting call of readily-accessible tab.