View Single Post
Old 01-04-2017, 03:42 PM

Default Fender acoustic repair

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some advice here. Back in 1996 we bought our son a Fender DG18S-B for his 18th birthday. Now he lives in London and after living in several different apartments he found that the guitar had been damaged during one of the relocations. The damage is on the top of the lower bout. Given that this was not an expensive guitar he thinks it's not worth fixing....as an oldie (63) who values such things I disagree. I'd appreciate your thoughts on whether it's worth saving and how I should go about it. The guitar appears to have aged well and it sounds really mellow, even though it desperately needs re-stringing. As the dad who provided the cash to buy this piece of family history I really want to repair it, but will it cost a lot if I find a good local luthier?

Alternatively, I could repair this, although I've not attempted any such restoration work before, I am very practical and build all sorts of things out of wood - but is this idea even a starter or will I make it worse? You will understand that I can't quite reach inside the guitar to push out the piece that is damaged until it is level with the body again. Maybe I should remove it completely and work to replace it from the outside of the body after installing some internal support in the hole underneath? Perhaps you could advise how I might tackle the job and point out any specifics to be aware of?

You can view some pictures here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z361cx855...aEopX_laa?dl=0

Thanks for your input.

Howard
2015 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany