View Single Post
Old 12-26-2016, 11:04 AM

OK, it's off topic but I can't resist responding to this:
Quote:
I'm well aware people think I'm nuts for spending $2,000 on a guitar.
Why would anyone know how much you spent on your guitar, unless you told them? Nothing bores me more quickly than random people prattling on how much they spent on their beloved whatever. A couple of weeks ago I was asked: "Is that an expensive guitar?" I replied, "Yes, it is." End of conversation.

Quote:
But I know what it sounds like, I know the respect I get when I walk into a room full of other guitar players.
This last semester, I had the exact experience of walking into a roomful of guitarists with my beloved guitar. I got no respect. Just a lot of curiousity. What is that? How long have you had it? So I got noticed, and that was a fun feel-good moment. But respect comes from playing well, and all the guitarists in that room played at least as well as I, and most of them quite a bit better. I don't envy them their instruments, but I do envy their ability. They get my respect.

Quote:
I know this guitar will last me 40+ years, I know it has great resale value.
Knowing the value of your guitar obviously gives you some assurance that you did indeed make a good decision, one that you won't regret. Especially since you bought a Martin, you can be assured of its resale value. And that's a good feeling. One that I don't have, since I bought an off-brand. And also because 40 years, I'll be dead. (Guessing that I'm older than you).

Cheers.