View Single Post
Old 01-09-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfsark View Post
...My amp is a Fishman Loudbox mini. Guess it's not a tube amplifier but it certainly has a mellow tone.
OK in a pinch, but not the best way to go in the long run unless you're using it as a platform for a digital modeler or well-stocked pedalboard - another set of expenses/learning curve in itself, and IME one that you really don't need as a total newbie; while the extensive menu of preset tonal options can have its place - I worked with a studio guy a few years ago who swore by his first-generation Line 6 Flextone rack rig - as a former teacher I've seen an unfortunate tendency among beginners to use such rigs as an expensive toy, rather than mastering the requisite (and very different) techniques involved in really playing electric. FYI I've been playing electric since 1964 and I'm a summa cum laude graduate of the old "Discovery Academy of Electric Guitar": hook it up, plug it in, turn it on, play with the switches and dials at both ends of the signal chain, and leave your hands off any effects (built-in tremolo/reverb - maybe a fuzz box - were all that was available at the time) until you know exactly what you're doing - your amp makes at least as much of a contribution to your overall sound as your guitar, and you need to approach things accordingly...

Simply put, if you're going electric you need dedicated electric gear - and, at this stage, as straightforward as possible. While I'm a hardcore fan of the Bugera V-Series combos - they're cheap enough that you almost can't afford not to own one - and a lifetime tube junkie, in the grand scheme any well-made analog electric-guitar-specific amp with sufficient power for your needs would be suitable; I'd recommend getting out there, plugging in at your friendly local music store, listening carefully (as you would with an acoustic purchase), and deciding what best suits your needs - and your wallet...