View Single Post
Old 12-19-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachz View Post
Hi, I'm looking for a guitar in the < $600 range. I'd like the guitar to be suitable for playing out at coffee shops probably through a Fishman loudbox. I'll play some fingerstyle ballads (think James Taylor) and learn some classical / flamenco pieces. The Cordoba GK Studio Negra is currently on my radar and I see some minor blem models for < $600. I'm wondering what the best guitar will be to be a good compromise for these goals.

It seems the Negra won't have the sustained bass of a true classical but might be a good enough.

I'm unclear on the quality of Cordobas though. I read many reviews about poor setups, buzzing frets on them, sharp unfiled frets and bridges coming loose. I'm hoping this is not a common problem. Any advice is very appreciated and thanks for the great site ! The Ben Woods videos on youtube really impressed me.
Your going to get a plethora of responses and really it depends on the dynamics of your location in regards to hands on. That is the best test. If its a small box store look at Alvarez or Yamaha since that is probably what they will stock. You won't find any of the used big boys in those shops most likely.
A trip to GC if possible will yield the used higher end. Online.....shoot for the stars, lol. Seriously, Eastman, Recording King, Blueridge all get good press on here. A 200 series Taylor would be in that range as well and a good fit for your need to be plugged in. Hope you find it!