View Single Post
Old 10-20-2016, 12:48 PM

First off the the Deering Goodtime open back is a fantastic starter banjo. I really enjoyed mine, and it served me wonderfully. I kind of wish I had kept it so I would have a campfire banjo, but either way...

I personally haven't had any issues with banjo play-ability due to scale length. Banjos are far easier to fret than guitars in my experience across the board. That being said, I play an Enoch Tradesman with has a scale length of 25 1/2 where the goodtime was 26 1/4. This was a notable transition to me and I found the shorter Enoch more comfortable to play. But it wasn't so much fretting as it was reach, which sounds like what you are concerned with.

I would personally give the regular goodtime and try for 30 minutes at the store and see how it feels, and if it feels cumbersome or tiresome than investigate other options. The Deering Goodtime Parlor might be an option for you as an alternative, but I haven't played one. I generally err on trusting deering across the board for good sounding entry and intermediate level instruments. Another option for you would be to investigate A-Scale banjos. They are generally in the 24inch range for scale length. There are numerous makers that do A-Scale.

And finally, while learning, you can simply keep a capo on the second fret and add a 5th string spike to capo it up as well. What would likely be the easiest and cheapest option. Happy hunting, and let us know what you decide on. Banjo is amazing.
Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle