View Single Post
Old 08-25-2016, 07:14 AM

I wanted to say a few things because I've seen people dogging units like these but they could be throwing out the baby with the bathwater. I have a feeling I use my box different than a lot of people especially compared to the demos TC has online most of which have way too much efx and harmonies for my taste.

I have a voice Live 3 and I love it. I don't use auto tune (hate it) I don't use backing tracks and I use the harmonies sparingly. I have it mounted on a pedalboard so I show up at a gig plug in my guitar plug into a powered speaker and I'm ready to go. I make presets for certain songs ....

Ex. If I have a softer finger picked song I make the preset so when I call the song up the guitar is already at the level I need it to be....If I plug in my electric guitar I have that setup for the tone and volume I want it to be for the song, If I sing a song that benefits from echo on the voice it's already done. Etc. Etc.

When I play with other people I line out of the my mixer and plug into their mixer, I can take my sound with me and I don't have to be dependent on the skills or lack of skills the person running the board has because my sound is already there

Is it for everybody? Absolutely not. I have friends that play and they would have no idea how to program or use a unit like the VL3 it would be too over whelming but personally coming from the perspective of a lifetime recording engineer it's actually pretty simple and extremely powerful especially if you use a laptop and the Voice live editor to edit your presets.

We've all heard units like these being misused with stacks of awful harmonies and cheezy backing tracks, that's the cliche that some people carry around about these units and I did too but like I said before you don't have to use it that way, sure you can make it sound cheezy as hell but you can make it sound really really good and I could never see going back to a mic and guitar setup with one sound all night long. The vocal sound alone kills vs going straight into my mixer

This is my current setup I just added the mixer so I can have my acoustic, electric and vocal going through the VL3, and when I need it I plug my mandolin and bass into the mixer and all are sent through one or 2 cables into whatever system I'm using. Easy and quick setup

Last edited by Woodstock School Of Music; 08-25-2016 at 07:21 AM.