Thread: Why cheap?
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 11:53 PM

Smile

+1 here on only wanting a nylon string for occasional 6-string fun .

One thing that should be mentioned is the higher level of quality that can be found in today's new cheap nylons - and acoustics in general - compared to many instruments of a couple of generations back.

When not thrashing a steel string or electric, have been playing tunes on a Hohner HC 06 student grade classical bought new a couple of years ago.

Negatives: action too high, all laminate body (not really a negative for me), no truss rod, non-traditional woods, neck a little wide (duh, it's a classical).

Positives: flawless build quality, great tone and resonance and decent volume for the thumb/flatpicking blues style I play, no strap buttons (duh again), good intonation, stays in tune well once strings settle in.

Bottom line: I have a very affordable nylon gitbox on which I easily lowered the saddle to improve the action, is durable (laminate), sounds great for the music I play, can easily add StewMac strap buttons to, has some resale/tradein value, and won't break my heart when it gets a ding in it.

Have no intentions of learning classical or flamenco but truly enjoy listening to others play. As for myself, will stick to a more unorthodox groove .

spayzkadet