View Single Post
Old 03-23-2008, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkstrum View Post
(I know the quick answer--put it up for bid and find out. Well, I don't have an Ebay account, and I have no idea what kind of political button aficionados are out there, so I'm tossing it to the cognescenti here first. If you have any guess, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!)

I happened to be a chaperone at Nixon's final Inaugural Parade for a Marching Band from Frostburg Maryland. We were a "stationary" route-band. A guy was selling the McGovern/Eagleton Campaign Buttons--you'll recall McGovern had to dump Tom Eagleton as his VP running mate because he had undergone psychotherapy at one point. I bought a button--I think it's about 3.5-4" diameter, red, white and blue--says "Come Home, America" or something. I've had it for a good number of years, and of course it is in perfect condition.

Why I *think* it might be worth something is two-fold: First (and least) is McGovern carried, what? Two states? Second--Eagleton was AFAIK, the only VP candidate ever DUMPED after the Convention-and being on the ticket. You'll recall (if you're as old as me), Sargent Shriver (a Kennedy relative) was chosen to replace him. So--I have this campaign button with the b/w pic of McGovern and dumped-Tom on it. I know there are people who collect such things. There really weren't a TON of them-as Eagleton was dumped fast into the campaign. Of course, the "coup de' gras" was that THIS was the "Watergate Election"--and NIXON was dumped eventually too.

So, anyone know about such things? What it might be likely worth? Back at the parade I paid 5 bucks for it...it was already a "collectors' item" then, and the peddler (only one I saw in our area) was about sold out.

I know ultimately, I'll need to test the market so to speak-and I have a way to do this involving a trusted friend. Whaddya think? I have no "certification" it was bought at the parade (or a pic of me buying it-no one thought of such back then), but it IS obviously legit. Any advice? Guesses? Political Campaign button collectors out there?--just wonderin'. This is such a diverse group...and usually has someone who knows something.
Is this one with the electric shocker built in?