View Single Post
Old 10-13-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
If, by vertical carbon weave, you mean the weave is perpendicular to the strings on a single neck guitar (that’s how I would interpret it), then I have never seen an Emerald guitar done as such. However, if you mean that the weave is parallel to the strings on a single neck guitar, this is what Emerald refers to as unidirectional weave. The June Select Series Guitars we’re built this way. I prefer it myself.

By the way you describe your playing, an Emerald Harp Guitar seems like to could be right up your alley. Enjoy the GAS!
By vertical I meant parallel to the guitar strings. like the June select. I now see that vertical wasn't the best word

As far as playing styles, yes and no. Yes as far as way more open string options. No as far as a bass player. There's no fretboard for me to play on, can't tap either. At first I couldn't figure out why no harp guitar have a fretboard under the strings, then I got it. A 6 string bass is tuned B, E, A, D, G, C with the C string being just over 2 octaves from the B string. Harp strings are tuned F, G, A, B, C, D all in one octave. There's no reason for a fretboard as you need those open string options.

I could get a double neck guitar with a 5 or 6 string bass neck in place of the harp strings. The upside is now I have access to ALL notes. #'s & b's, octaves, chords tapped harmonics and so on. The downside is that I would have to change tunings more often to use the open strings as harp strings. I could never tune it like a harp guitar without replacing almost all strings. You can't down-tune a whole octave without it becoming spaghetti!

As you can see I have been thinking about this quite a lot. Interesting conundrum! Step one is to get my hands on an X20 and see if I even like Emerald guitars! Tommy did some interesting work on this one to somewhat simulate a bass player walking down to a note. It's mostly a short walk but it works.

I'm going to add this as it fits in... sort of. It's ummm.... CRAZY!! Just get a triple neck. The bass neck is upside down (backwards). You fret up top by what would be the saddle for the low notes. I would assume the bass neck is only electric but...just found it so I don't know. I don't anything close to this stuff!!