View Single Post
Old 04-06-2005, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack
That mandolin-picked guitar solo in "Mother and Child Reunion" has an interesting technical story. Whether on purpose or by accident, it was mixed to sound like is was coming from everywhere. It felt like it was outside the speakers. Really cool. Back when I was a teenager, before I became a recording engineer, I happened to discover its secret: I was listening on my cheap stereo over the headphones. During the song, I think I rolled over on my bed and pulled the headphone plug halfway out. On some jacks when you do this, it combines the signal from the two headphone sides and sends it to both ears.

When I did this, the lead guitar WENT AWAY. Oh, the guitar's reverb was there in the background, but the guitar vanished. Huh? Plug in, everything is fine. Plug out and speakers on, everything is fine. Plug halfway out, guitar gone.

You know what caused it? The guitar was brought up on a couple of channels, one was thrown out of phase with the other, and they were panned outboard. When you do that, the center image disappears and the item appears to come from outside the speakers. Of course, if you combine the channels to make it mono, *poof* the item disappears.

Hah! Recording lesson #1!

Bob
Huh?

Cool song though