View Single Post
Old 11-06-2004, 02:22 AM

Default Bass Guitar and PA's

Ok here is my question. Is it ok to run a bass guitar through the PA directly? Can it be run through a bass amp into a PA? Can you mic a bass amp and send it through a PA. I ask because our church has a really loud bass player who thinks that a bass will overload or fry a PA. I have heard this before but I don't know how true this is. He feels he needs it this loud so that he can hear his bass. I would much rather set up a monitor from the PA for him to hear his bass than to have him blow everyone on stage and in the congregation away with a bass too loud for the mix. Is there another way to let him have a personal monitor and still use the bass amp as the source for bass sound if the bass cannot be run through the PA? We have almost no money to spend on buying a new bass amp. Netheir him or the church. We are a portable church who has several musicians that we rotate through the team including other bass players. It would be really easy for us to simply plug the bass into the PA and be done with it. I know this would cause us to lose a lot of sound quality, but we are willing make that sacrifice for a better mix and ease of set up. I have a Roland AC-60 acoustic amp. Would a bass damage this if run directly through this or if it was used as a monitor from the PA?

We have a Carvin 12 channel powered amp run through 15" Carvin speakers if you need to know that.

Thanks in advance for any information you can give.

Michael

Guitars
Martin ALternative X
Taylor 914ce-L7 Brazilian Rosewood 1 11/16" nut
Taylor Big Baby
Taylor T5 Custom Quilted Maple BlueBurst
Taylor 354ce
Martin DC-Aura