Thread: 1.8 nut widths
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2014, 09:34 AM
Humanist

I have seen a full 1/16" of E-to-E string-spacing difference on 1-3/4" nut-width guitars, between different makers of acoustic guitars.

Martin = 1-17/32"

Tippin = 1-16/32" (1-1/2") - the most common, that *I've* seen, from builder to builder.

Goodall = 1-15/32"

As I often say, string-spacing (at the nut *and* bridge) is quite important, because of course your fingers go to the strings (and not the overall nut width).

That said, the dimensions of the underlying fingerboard also have a lot to do with feel and playability, especially to where the E-strings lay (lie?) in regards to the edges of the fingerboard. This depends not just on the overall nut width and nut-spacing, but on the bridge string-spacing and the overall taper/geometry of the neck (12th fret overall width). Some people (like me) want particular E-to-E spacings (nut and bridge) with a lot of distance between the E-strings and the edges of the fingerboard, and this requires particular fingerboard dimensions. Others might prefer the exact opposite, that is, E-strings that are fairly close to the edges of the 'board. Personal choice.

Personally, I find it difficult to grasp when people simply talk about the nut-width or the nut spacing in regards to playability/feel/etc., and don't immediately also note the bridge -spacing and the overall width of the neck/board at the 12th fret.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner