View Single Post
Old 09-11-2011, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftycajun View Post
I just got my new (to me) 214CE a couple days ago. I needed a new acoustic electric and decided on a Taylor. I'd always been curious about Taylors but never pulled the trigger. Owned a few Larrivees and a couple Martins in the past (and a baby taylor, wanted a "real" one this time). I picked the 214CE over a 312CE because it was newer, had the ES-T vs the 2007-2009 ES (I like the Aura system), and the x14 style is the "classic" taylor (to me, at least). Both guitars were for sale online, I'm a lefty so it's hard to find used guitars near me to try before I buy. I strung the 214 with my favorite strings and played it for a few days. Sounded alright, but not quite "there." Playability was really stiff. The action was pretty high as well. Not what I expected. Plus the finish reminded me of the Baby Taylor I had last year (especially the neck, and not in a good way). I'm also not getting along with the body shape/size. I'm a little guy, and I'm just not able to get comfortable with it. I dropped into the local taylor dealer today and played a 314CE to compare. BIG difference: full clear bass, shimmering highs, easy playability, etc. Now I'm kicking myself for not getting the 312CE for less than $200 what I paid for the 214CE. If you add in what my Aura spectrum cost me It would have been a little cheaper to get the 312! I restrung mine tonight with elixir lights and it did help the sound a lot and the playability a little. I'm playing it at Church tomorrow. We'll see how it goes.

Let me be clear: despite all I've said, my 214CE is a GOOD guitar. I DO like it. I definitely like it enough that if I do get something else it will be another Taylor. It's just not the guitar for ME. I like the way taylor builds guitars. I like a lot of what the company does. I like that they are always looking to improve, even when their idea of improvement might run contrary to the customers' idea. Just looking to vent a little. Anybody else ever have this kind of experience?
Actually I played some 214 that sound much better than the 314s....

also you can't assume that because you played a 314 that its going to sound as well as the 312.......those are two different body shapes. the 312 is going to have much less bass and much less volume.

unless you played a 312 yourself, you can't really judge and compare the 214 with it......

Taylors are one company were higher number series always doesn't mean better sounding guitars.