View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK34 View Post
So many stories. I read somewhere that Hank Jr. traded his dad's D-28 for shotguns and hunting gear, and the guitar wound up in Neil's hands sometime later.
Heard the same story. And personally find it hard to believe.
1st. The guitars is represented as being THE guitar of Hank Sr. As in his favorite that he was most often seen playing. Much as we would assume anyone talking about "Willie Nelson's guitar" would be referring to "Trigger" (The old beast up Martin). It is called "Hank Sr.'s guitar" as opposed to "ONE OF Hanks Sr.'s guitars".
2nd. As devoted to his fathers memory as Hank Jr. appears to be, I find it hard to believe he would TRADE his fathers favorite guitar for some guns. Hank Jr. was a silver spoon baby. He was born into wealth, and has made a fortune on his own. I can't imagine what kind of shotguns were special enough that he could not afford to buy them outright. And was not only forced, but willing to trade his fathers supposed priceless guitar to get.
The Provenance story IMO just doesn't add up.
Of course if Hank Jr. says it was his dads guitar, who can dispute him. But I've got feeling someone, maybe more than a few people, got greened on that guitar deal. To someone like Hank Jr., an old Martin D-28 wouldn't be hard to acquire. Add a good story and it becomes much more valuable.
I'd personally have to see some proof of provenance, such as documents (Sales receipts/insurance policy w/serial # etc) to believe Neil's guitar is the actual Hank Sr. D-28.