Thread: 1.8 nut widths
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2011, 08:47 PM

I swear by them. I had a Washburn acoustic with a 1-11/16" nut width for something like 10 years, and wondered why I always had such a hard time playing it. Then I started playing classical guitars, as I started exploring more Latin styles, and discovered that the wider nut & neck worked for me in a way that the more narrow nut widths absolutely did not. Then, last year, I began a search for a steel string guitar with as wide a nut & string spacing as possible (the closest thing I could find to a classical with steel strings on it). I tried a few, and ended up with a Takamine ETN30C, which has a 1-7/8" nut width (which is even wider than 1.8"). It's awesome, and my fingers have never been happier! I also recently picked up a Recording King ROS-06, which has a 1-13/16" nut width (only a hair wider than your Seagull), and I'm loving that, too. It lets me know that I'm not completely hopeless, and can still play a steel-string acoustic! I just have to be picky about which ones I choose. Anyway, to answer your question, I think more & more guitar manufacturers are making guitars with wider nuts now, in response to the demand from fingerstyle players. Takamine, Recording King, Seagull, Martin... All of them manufacture guitars with wider nuts. Do check them out.