View Single Post
Old 07-11-2010, 06:00 AM

Thanks for all your input chaps.

Do any of you grain fill when using urethane, the only time i used it i followed the tech spec, and it sank really badly after a week. so I think as with all of these finishes, us guitar making people have to play by our own rules. It seems that you almost have to throw and instructions out the window and work it out for our selves. Which i guess we are all used to now any way. I was looking at the bourgeois finish a while back, and i think they told me they use none UV polyester, not played enough bourgeois to get a feel for the sound, Huss and dalton use cat urethane. And Steve McCrarey from Collings told me that Bill said he would go for Urethane in our situation. We are building 80/100 guitars per year. And those of you who supply to shops will understand, most retailer are looking for a flat, strong, shiny finish.

I had an olson in the workshop the other day and thought it looked good, that was the UV polyester i think. And it really does seem to me that like any product it depends who is using it as to the result u get.

I was also noticing the behlens nitro was changing every time we got a new order. 3 years ago it was clear and now its yellow, and getting a little harder to polish.

Anyway, we've got Martha Reeves playing up the road later, so guess i better get a life, get out in the sun and have a few cold ones, and think about this one monday morning.

Over and out for now.