View Single Post
Old 02-13-2010, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickellis View Post
Hi everyone. I need some help. I have done some searching and still remain thoroughly confused on direction.

I generally play alone only because I cant seem to find anyone to jam with. So recently I bought a RC-50 loop station. It has been fun playing around with this and really helpful in spurring some creativity. The RC-50 has a built in "guide" or rhythm drum kits. I really like playing with drum backing/kits. It seems a little cumbersome to use this for a drum machine.

So here is the jist of my dilemma......

I want to find a way to be able to perform "live" and use a drum machine of some sorts. Some way that I could develop several songs and easily be able to organize a set and have control of the drum machine (footswitch or whatever). I have ProTools with Ableton Live Lite and I have the RC-50 with the kits.

What are others doing to incorporate drums (maybe bass also) into a setup that is workable and easy to manage on stage? I am really confused about this topic and was wondering if I could get some input on what is working or not working for others.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Rick
One of the least intrusive ways for a solo act to use a drum machine is to use only simple bass-drum with snare-drum patterns to maintain your rhythm for a song. Just use the the footswitch to turn On/Off the machine. Having a simple drum-machine rhythm pattern going on can help free up your guitar so you can play more melodic things interspersed with your guitar's rhythm. Even if you drop out the guitar's rhythm for a beat or two to play and accentuate a melody or fill, the audience still receives an uninterrupted rhythm pattern from the drum machine and the whole thing melds together to sound good.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom