View Single Post
Old 04-01-2008, 06:54 PM

All things being equal I prefer brazilian rosewood... in fact I include the choice of a brazilian or ebony board with no upgrade.

I think the brazilian board gives a bit more sweetness to the sound, but it is hard to say for sure, since it might be the guitar talking and not the fretboard... but I can say that I generally prefer the sound of the guitars with the brazilian boards.

... but I might not be able to do this for much longer. Finding good brazilian stock is becoming next to impossible.

On the down side, wear on rosewood is a bit of an issue (although brazilian wears much better than indian rosewood) and it can occassionally have pores in it that are noticable (ebony doesn't have pores and feels "slicker")

Ebony stock will be around for quite a while, but if you are looking for the jet black stuff... well.... your standards are going to have to shift. It is getting really hard to find ultra black boards. Most have at least a little grey in them now. Macassar seems plentiful, but it is stripey with black and tan coloration.

The best of the best ebony is Madagascar Ebony and it is getting hard to get with any regularity, and when you can find it it is expensive.