View Single Post
Old 01-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrake View Post
I am shocked and appalled that you would even consider putting the judgement of your own ears before the Clamor Of Internet Buzz. You have been bad, very bad.

We played a show last year running thru a pro sound guy's Mackies of, I believe, your make, and they sounded stunning, brilliant, killer diller. Granted, he was a very experienced sound dude and we were pumping thru all his gizmos, but still, those are fine speakers.

And I'm generally floored by the quality of the JBL Eons our U's jazz fest uses, so in the end perhaps chasing that final 3% of Holy Grail tone is beyond my ears.

td
Hi TD,

I think Mackie SRM450 Active Monitor Loudspeakers, because of their widespread usage over the last decade, have become a standard by which to judge portable loudspeakers. With the newer advances in loudspeaker design, including Mackie's own SRM450 update, the SRM450V2, the SRM450 design was, and still is a decent-sounding design. There are new designs, such as the JBL EONS and QSC K Series products that are excellent-sounding and may surpass the sound-quality of Mackie to many ears. I agree with your assessment of "that final 3% of Holy Grail tone is beyond my ears" because given my limited exposure to the QSC K Series tone, I didn't have that allelulia feeling.

I will admit that--excellent tone aside--the prospect of buying a loudspeaker with 1000 watts of power in a 27 lb. to 41 lb. package has got to spin a few heads--mine included. I almost feel I could go to war with a pair of QSC K Series speakers and win any battle I encountered.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 01-02-2010 at 09:49 AM.