View Single Post
Old 06-02-2006, 02:31 PM

Default 614 vs. 814 - AND c vs. ce

Hey guys. First of all, thanks to all of you for your insightful posts on here. Thanks for keeping me entertained and for fully feeding into my GAS -- specifically TAS.

I've been playing a bunch of models. I'm debating between the 614ce and 814ce. The biggest problem, right now, is that the only guitar shop that has both (and a K14ce!) really needs to change the strings on the latter two. They're awful to play... The 614ce had a new set, but the others were just terrible.

I was looking for some thoughts regarding the two. I've liked the 614ce whenever I've played it, but have not had a fair chance to A/B it against an 814ce. Also, the ones I've played have been 2003 series. Aren't the x14s revoiced since then?

Last question - I'm getting the cutaway, but not sold on the electronics. I've rarely had a need to play plugged in. Normally, it's just for fun in small settings. I figured it'd be cheaper and 'better' to avoid the extra expense (and holes!) at this point. With some of the mixed reviews of the ES, I was really thinking of going sans electronics at this point. What do you guys think?

Thanks!