Thread: QSC K8 or K10?
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2009, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Folks: Time To Think! Something about QSC's specifications for the K Series speakers is that they say all these speakers have 1000 watts of power (500 watts Low Frequency; 500 Watts High Frequency) BUT they don't say at what frequency or over what frequency range this power is developed. Is the 1000 watt power rating RMS or peak? On paper, if you quickly look at the specs, these are the greatest thing since sliced bread but are they any better than the Mackie SRM450V2 and SRM350V2 sound-quality-wise and power-wise? I can't find any actual power rating per frequency specifications for the QSC models but Mackie does give us RMS power ratings at frequency specs that are available through their website. I can't find any exacting power specs for the QSC K Series speakers on QSC's website.

Has anyone compared the QSC K10 to a Mackie SRM350V2 or a QSC K12 to a Mackie SRM450V2? I think we should really make a live audio comparison, along with a thorough specification perusal, before jumping on the QSC bandwagon and rushing out to buy them because they're a one-year newer design than the Mackies. Something to think about is that because they're new and have a high wattage rating will they be the darlings of us all when a year from now someone else brings out a seemingly better speaker system? Are we that fickle and easily led?

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 11-16-2009 at 01:35 PM.