Thread: Phantom power
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 02:30 AM

Default Phantom power

Anyone care to make sure I'm understanding the following correctly from the Godin FAQ? It says you have to be plugged in to a mixer using a mic cord, so assuming your amp even has an XLR connection, how do you know whether it produces phantom power (what do I look for on the spec sheets)? Then the mic cable will take me from that at the amp to the normal 1/4" connection to plug into the guitar?

What is Phantom Power and what does it do for my Multiac Duet?
Quote:
Pantom power is most commonly used to provide the current used in condenser microphones. The power typically comes from a phantom power capable mixer and arrives at the mic via one of the three pins - called XLR connectors -in a standard mic cable. The under-saddle transducer and the I-Beam transducer in the Multiac Duet require active electronics, which means that they require power to operate. This is true of most pickup-equipped acoustic guitars and the power typically comes from a 9volt battery. The Multiac Duets offer you the choice of powering the guitar via the standard 9volt battery along with a standard guitar cord and from there into the amp of your choice, or you can use a standard mic cord to plug the guitar directly into a mixer and draw power back into the guitar and bypass the need for a battery. The advantages of this approach are that the mic cable is shielded against outside interference - such as radio frequencies - and the XLR connection locks the cable in place avoiding any accidental disconnections. Note: Not all mixers produce phantom power check your mixer owner's manual if you are unsure about this.