View Single Post
Old 12-30-2016, 10:18 AM

As others have stated, what bandsaw to get depends on what you want to cut and what you want to spend on the saw.

For 35 years I've had a Rockwell 14" bandsaw with a 6" riser. (Rockwell was purchased by Delta, labeled as Rockwell Delta and, later, just Delta: in other words, same saw as the Delta 14".) I've cut 9" deep rosewood and cedar on it, amongst many other things. It will cut it, but it is very slow. With the 6" riser installed, there is a lot of "bounce" in the upper wheel reducing cut quality: unless the riser is needed for capacity, I use the saw without the riser. It has served me well, but isn't a great saw, about $600 when I bought it 35 years ago.

A few years ago, tired of fighting the Rockwell's quirks, I bought a Laguna 14-12. It is in another snack bracket in fit, finish, design and cut. Fitted with a Laguna $150 carbide-tooth blade, it will quickly cut to its 12" capacity with a nearly-finished quality surface. I highly recommend the saw.

Regardless of what you choose to buy, it should have some mechanism for dust collection. (The Laguna does, the Rockwell/Delta doesn't.)