Thread: Nut Width
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2014, 09:25 AM

How big is your hand? Although all the information posted here is good and relevant - it is on a relative scale depending on your "reach" and the thickness of your finger ends. If you have large hands with relatively thick finger ends (e.g. a 9" spread from tip of thumb to tip of little finger when hand is spread) then the narrower nuts will feel cramped or even impossible to fret without muting adjacent strings. If you have small hands, (e.g. a 7.5" spread) then a wider nut e.g. 1 7/8 will be a constant challenge to reach. Not to mention barre chords… If you have long fingers with tapered finger ends then I imagine there would be fewer limitations, but sadly I wouldn't know…

Actually it might be useful if people posted their hand spread and whether they have skinny or plump finger ends when they indicate what nut width/ neck shape they prefer…

I have 7 3/4" spread on my left hand and averagely thick finger ends - definitely not delicately tapered… so my challenge is with reach. I currently prefer the Gibson "vintage" neck (it's shallow like a classical) with the 1.725" nut. The Gibson is also short scale 24.75" which helps with reach too.