View Single Post
Old 03-21-2017, 10:59 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post

I'd like to pose a theoretical question involving ToneDexter and Martin's Matrix VT Enhance system (the original subject of this thread).

Let's say that I made two WaveMaps for this guitar. WaveMap A would be made with the pickup system's tone control set for flat (it ranges from flat to an extreme mid cut) and the pickup system's Enhance control set for off. (The Enhance control chooses the amount of SBT signal added to the UST signal.) WaveMap B would be made with the tone control set for flat and the Enhance control set for full on.

Presuming that I used the correct pickup settings with their corresponding WaveMaps:

a) Would the guitar's processed tone be nearly the same for both WaveMaps?

b) Would WaveMap B, in conjunction with the pickup system's Enhance control being full on, yield a more top-responsive processed sound than WaveMap A (in conjunction with the Enhance control being full off)?

c) Would WaveMap B, in conjunction with the Enhance control being full on, yield a processed sound which is more feedback prone than WaveMap A (in conjunction with the Enhance control being full off)?

My guess is that the "Dexterized" tone would be very similar sounding for both scenarios, but with scenario B yielding a more top responsive and feedback prone signal. Even considering that the scenario B signal might be more feedback prone, I can see some useful versatility in having the Matrix VT Enhance system and a ToneDexter loaded with two WaveMaps to accommodate the two different pickup control settings described above.
a) Yes, the sonic result would be nearly the same.

b) Yes

c) I don't have any experience with VT enhance yet. That said, the answer is it probably would be more feedback prone. The physics can't be avoided. But the difference in feedback susceptibility may be small enough not to matter in all but the most extremely loud environments because we mitigate feedback issues in our WaveMap.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup