View Single Post
Old 05-09-2017, 02:10 PM

Different mics certainly sound different through it, so I don't see why not. Not sure if you saw my post a bit back, but it compares two different high end condensers (across two different sets of clips, mind you).

Last night I finally spent some time w/ my acoustic amp and my TD and found the magic sauce, which was to really yank mids out on the amp EQ - doing that got me so close to the un-amplified sound of the guitar that I had a hard time feeling like I was amplified to begin with...

...which led me to a thought.

Do you think that due to the scooped characteristics of basically any/all UST/SBT pickups, which are in probably 90%+ of electrified acoustics, that amp manufacturers set a high initial midpoint, or to put it another way, that they boost mids out of the gate to compensate for those tendencies in pickups, so that when someone gets their new amp home it sounds 'good' on default EQ settings? Made me wonder... acoustics and TD'd sounds have that mid range to begin with, so things might come through as too mid heavy without rolling them off?

Anyway, it was an 'a-ha!' moment for me... which, of course, introduced the next challenge:

If I DI out of my amp w/ the mixed signal, if I need to turn the amp up for myself on stage, it will turn it up in the mains...

If I DI out of the amp on the channel signal, it is pre-EQ...

So how to get the sound I want out to the sound guy to begin with?

Hrm...