View Single Post
Old 07-16-2017, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
I would just ask, do you think there can phase interference in different points around the guitar between the wavelengths emanating from different areas of the guitar? Yea or nay?
We know that guitar tops move in various phases. There are probably better papers on it that this, but here's an example: http://www.acs.psu.edu/drussell/guit...mmingbird.html

But that's what makes a guitar sound like a guitar, and makes different guitars sound different (among other things). It's not a problem, and if you somehow had a mic that canceled those phase differences out or was able to ignore them, it wouldn't sound like the same guitar, right? The mic's job is to pick up what's there, and those phase movements of the top are there - waiting to be heard and captured on a recording. Even with spaced pairs, the sound from every part of the top reaches both mics, so if this is some sort of problem, it'd be the same issue there, too - even worse, because the differences in mic placement will interact with the top motion in all kinds of ways. It kind of sounds like maybe guitar's a defective design that just can't be recorded :-)

This is getting way off topic... I didn't set out to do some justification of XY recording, I just used a portable recorder as an example of how easy it was to move between spaces when you use one - and they all tend to have XY mics built-in, which is convenient! I could certainly do a similar experiment with spaced pairs, but I'm not sure I want to setup all the gear required in the laundry room.