View Single Post
Old 08-03-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royd View Post
Derek, you've gotten lots of helpful advice and congrats on you 3rd solo gig.

Your last phrase is the important one in my mind - without all that gear and noise. For me, that would rule out putting together a full PA. I've been doing solos and duos for the last 20 years and started out with a full PA. Yeah, I could cover just about any setting and it sounded quite good, but schleping it all and setting it all up by myself was more than I wanted to be doing. Shortly after they came out, I bought a Fishman Soloamp (about 8 years ago?). I love it for what I do. It takes me about 3 minutes to get set up, I make one trip, and it sounds good. I have even used it with a trio by adding a small mixer. Wineries, tasting rooms, coffeehouses, even a few outdoor gigs... it has worked great. Yes, I have had a few gigs where it wouldn't be enough but most larger gigs have their own systems so I don't need to bring anything anyway. I sold my PA. The only thing I have lost out on was being able to loan the PA to my church for summer outdoor worship. Literally that has been the only thing in all those years.
+1
Good advice.