View Single Post
Old 03-23-2018, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Hi Naboz!

* If you research my posts, I've shared several videos and notes on the M80...I've used different mags over my years of performing and the M80's features & tone overall is my fav.

** Non-adjustable poles are a definite deal breaker for me because no two guitars are alike and getting OPTIMAL balance is a key factor in helping to achieve a good stage tone...the M80 & Dimarzio Angel achieve nice warmth and balance this way.

*** Lite weight is important to me and the M80 is one of the lighter dual coil mags...there is no detectable affect/dampening on the unplugged tone with the M80, I leave it in 100% of the time on my D18. In addition, these mags are very low to noiseless and are very anti-feedback; a must for what I do.

**** I like the small disc style battery as well as the indicator and the option to go passive, tho I prefer active so as to have use of the volume control.

***** The percussive nature is a plus for my style of play and the pick up placement does not impede my natural way of string attack so I don't hit the pickup and make clicking noise...this aspect may understandably be a negative for others with different styles.

***** the M80 is plug n play direct into my Loudbox and has a nice warm low end and is only detectable as to a "mag tone" when striking 1st & 2nd strings hard with a pick. Flesh fingerstyle playing truly shines with the M80...like most pickups, a fair amount of mid-cut improves the sound; I sometimes use a Boss AD-2 which also enhances the tone some but is not necessary and I use it sparingly on some occasions.

****** While looks are truly subjective, I like the non-techy black approach that Baggs took with the M80, setting it apart to look more vintage with it's creamy, ivoroid color...I also like the tortoise look that Dimarzio uses with it's Angel mag.

Hope some of these key points are informative, best wishes!

Here is a live sample of the M80 in my D18 plugged straight into my Loudbox Performer, no further eq or processing...very warm and natural imo. Listen close with earbudz to the intro single note tones and then I move my arm forward to strum. I've always played this way naturally regardless of mag or any pickup...it jus' works for me tho ymmv.

eric

Last edited by noledog; 03-23-2018 at 12:10 PM.