View Single Post
Old 03-22-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanron View Post
Just a note ot two on the 'fixed' chords. Whilst I've no wish to challenge any of the chord names you use they do present the problem that any other version or inversion of them in this context is less likely to sound right.
True - the shapes are critical.

I only wanted to clarify some of the names, according to conventional symbol language.

Eg, normally (as I'm sure you know):

Letters only, such as "A" "B" or "C#" mean full major triads. Not far off in terms of the A or B, but quite wrong for the "C#" and the "G#" in this case, which contain C#-B-E and G#-B-E respectively.

"+" means augmented 5th, or sharp (referring to a following chord tone) - not "add" - so "A+9" would normally be read as either A9#5, or A7#9 (although it would not be quite correct for either). "add" needs to spelled out.
Moreover, "Aadd9" - while more correct than "A+9" - implies the inclusion of C#, which is missing from this chord.

Giving the right name to Asus2 may not get quite the right voicing for this tune, but at least it will consist of the required notes.

I appreciate what you say about folk traditions - all good stuff - but there's nothing really unusual about these guitar chords, and the player himself is using conventional function numbers. It's still folk Americana, despite the presence of the bouzouki.

Last edited by JonPR; 03-22-2017 at 09:27 AM.