View Single Post
Old 04-16-2009, 09:21 AM

And, she was inspired by that guy from her town (or in the neighborhood - she knew him) who went on one of these shows and sang his way to third place!

In one interview, she says her mother kept telling her to do it, but she wouldn't - until she saw her "neighbor" and found her courage because of him!

Every time I listen to it, I cry.

Music today is entirely too visual. Bessie Smith is just one example of an incredible singer who wouldn't have a chance today... Even greats like Caruso or McCormack would have been stymied by today's need for legs ("tits and ***" as the song from Chorus Line goes!), bodies, movement - all that NON-MUSICAL crap (IMHO, that is!)

Even today's male country stars have to be "cute". And they definitely have to be young!

I was told many years ago that I should get some skinny sweet young thing to lip sync my stuff for me because I just didn't have the looks to pull it off.
And that was when I was 20!! Now that I am over 50, it's even worse

Music is for the EARS not the eyes. Just like finding the right instrument - it's about what you hear not what you see!

Susan Boyle has the RIGHT instrument!! I hope she gets to share it with all of us soon!

By the way, she is already in negotiations with Simon Cowell's record company - I guess you might say, even if she doesn't win, she has already won, as he has signed her!