View Single Post
Old 03-25-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallon426 View Post
Milwaukee has a great program for guitarists. It's called string pedagogy and John stropes runs the program. It's fingerstyle based. I would have done that if I could go back. I have a music degree and I wasted a lot of time studying SATB and music theory. I'm solid in my theory now, but it hasn't really helped me become a better musician, that much.... I've learned more from learning songs by ear than any school could have ever taught me. However, auditions, depending where you go are relatively basic. They want you to demonstrate your knowledge of scales in all keys. Play a couple pieces of music, possibly improvise over a basic Jazz progression, nothing too crazy. It really depends what program you're going into. And unfortunately majority of college music is only classical and Jazz, which I think is crap. Try and play a Lonnie Johnson piece, or big bill broonzie.... That's just as technical as any classical piece, if not more because of the timing.

Sorry, I went on a rant. But... It irritates me that music in college is studied in a traditional way. IMO best way to get better is by ear, self discipline, a good teacher...And colleges should really adapt a new method for teaching music, in general
Thanks for the reply. I do wish that Jazz, finger style and classical weren't the dominant, accepted styles in a college music degree. Oh well, I've been wanting to learn jazz for a long time. At UWM we are required to take 8 semesters of one-on-one guitar lessons and the teachers are selected to match each individual student. Apparently, they take great pride in their guitar instruction.

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited by Kerbie; 03-26-2017 at 05:54 AM. Reason: Edited quote