View Single Post
Old 05-15-2017, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

There is something about the act of driving which reveals a primal violence in humans.

Every day, currently, Jane and I have to commute to a hospital 20 miles west of us, which is the same road that I used to my office until I left the corporate world in '93.

This road has three intersections which seem to cause confusion and, sometimes some aggressive driving.

I remember that back in the day , I was an aggressive driver, and would, at times take exception to other's actions - I was also frequently "wound up" about the challenges of the day to come.

We did it again this morning. The same silly things happened.

But this is southern England - no guns, no violence ......... but ......one day shortly after I had stopped making that journey there was an altercation which involved two drivers stopping for an argument. Two young married men with a bit too much tension and testosterone came together. One grabbed the first thing in the back of his truck that came to hand. It was an Axe. He killed the other man with it.

He was probably just another guy worried about getting to work on time, paying the bills, etc.

Our baser human instincts are never as well hidden as we'd like to think.