View Single Post
Old 03-20-2009, 09:01 AM

I posted my experience on another thread, but here goes:

They are, to me, what phosphor bronze should be. They are warmer than PB, without the same sparkle (which often sounds tinny to me) but with a more meaty, collected tone. They don't seem to do well on darker guitars -- I really didn't like them on an all mahogany 12 fretter. OTOH, they are the bees knees on my National Delphi & my Cargo. The latter may be surprising, considering my comment about darker guitars above, but I think the Reds really control & direct that big bass in a very pleasing fashion.

They lasted on my Delphi about 2-3 weeks before becoming too dull. The Cargo has had them on for a little over a week, maybe two, and it's still great.

They are, however, fairly stiff and seem to have a comparatively high tension.

As a comparison, my 'standard' string set is a 12 gauge Pearse 80/20. But I've tried lots of other strings, and have no trouble using expensive strings if they're worth it -- I use TI's on most of my electrics and Newtone nickels on my wood-bodied National. To my way of thinking, the string is what's amplified. Why would you pay thousands for a a pretty amplifier to make a mediocre sound louder? Strings & picks, baby...