Thread: Finger Picks
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2005, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkillips
I take it, then, that I should also get the Slick Pick described above for my thumb, and not try to wear an Alaska Pik on my thumb, correct?
There is no one answer that is correct for everyone. If you play with a classical hand position with your hand well out away from the strings, then will will likely need an Alaska Pic for your thumb too due to the great angle your thumb will make with the strings. If you play with your hand close to the strings (like palm or wrist touching strings or bridge pins) then you will need a thumb pick due to very little angle (could be almost no angle) of your thumb to the strings.

After years, I changed my hand position from classical to a lower one where I could easily palm mute the strings. So I started using a thump pick. This helped my personal playing a lot because my picking hand became much more relaxed and my accuracy with my thumb increased dramatically. Also my dynamics increased significantly as I could easily play very softly or very loudly with the thumb pick. Now this is all personal to me and I tell you this just to give you one more reference point. You must analyze your own playing habits, style and goals and decide logically what is best for you to do. (I know a player that can play well both ways.)

Make sure that "tension" is a major consideration in your decisions. Anything that reduces tension in your playing parts (fingers, hands, arms, shoulders, back, etc.) is a very good thing. But the trial of the new approach should be longer than a couple of minutes. The trial needs to be long enough to get over the initial discomfort of something new. Anything that is new is not "normal". And anything that is not "normal" is usually initially uncomfortable. Most teachers do not seem to tell students this.

I hope I've helped you. Good luck.