View Single Post
Old 02-01-2018, 02:42 AM

Default Help with Zoom and mic settings

Hi all

I have seen a few very interesting posts about optimising recording using a Zoom / mic setup on here with @dougyoung and was hoping he might jump in here with some advice, along with anyone else who might be able to help.

I am using a Zoom H5 along with 2 AT2020 mics to record acoustic guitar only. I will most likely use a spaced pairs set up (as used by Doug in one of his earlier posts) I then import into Auria to mix, before editing with video for YouTube.

Where I am unsure is how to set up the zoom to record - should it be one stereo file or two separate files so that I can pan left and right when I import into Auria to mix?

I have recorded a test file as a single stereo file but cannot discern any difference between this file and previous mono files I recorded using a single mic - I was expecting stereo to offer a much wider soundstage. I cannot pan a singles stereo file in Auria - the pan control is simply a balance control with a single file - in the pervious posts I have seen reference to a manual pan hard left and hard right on editing so can I assume this is two mono files?

Lastly, do you recommend any other specific settings on the Zoom that might be optimal starting points? (Effects / quality etc)

Many thanks in advance

Peter

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig