View Single Post
Old 06-21-2017, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I always shoot on the high side of Cumpliano's measurements. 1/16th of air space across the frets over the bridge. Make sure you have the frets in place, I made that mistake once

I like the high side because I tend to build light and get more top lift and bridge rotation. Plus once the guitar settles in after so many months or a year then you can sand the saddle down and have a nicely broken in guitar for many years.

3/64th will work perfectly.
It seems like everybody does it a bit different. I went just a bit more and have a gap just a hair under 1/16". That seems to be within what most builders do and it's within the Cumplino book specs so I'm leaving it alone. Now I'm going to clean up any rub marks and spray my final coats of lacquer. The neck is pretty much ready to go so I'll spend the cure time making my clamping cauls and getting ready for some gluing.

I am very grateful for all the help and input from everybody. It means a lot that you are all willing to share you're knowledge with a new builder. It makes me want to try another one. I would sure like a smaller bodied mahogany guitar.