View Single Post
Old 11-24-2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanelson View Post
Cool, I have not considered this. Are you saying that a barred A is 'different' than a capoed (on the 5th fret) E - or, are you really just referring to open chords, e.g., G?

How would the tone and resonance be different with a capo versus a good barre chord (again, except for the G)? Could it simply be the difference between flesh (barre) versus a harder surface (capo)?

Thanks
Interesting question, and something I was thinking about when I was playing capoed up a few frets.

I think the result is in fact different with the capo. There might be tone differences between, as you suggested, the barred A vs. the capoed equivalent (same exact notes being played on the exact same strings). Not completely sure I understand why.

But I suspect that part of this capoed effect comes from having different notes coming from the open strings.

Really, I have not fully analyzed this effect.

I just know that some pieces that sound mediocre without a capo sound magical with one.

But also, some pieces that sound great without the capo are sort of wrecked when I play them capoed up a few frets.

I'm convinced there are things going on here that go beyond simply raising the pitches of the notes. Somehow, it seems these notes are interacting with the resonant properties of the guitar differently. Or maybe something else is going on I haven't figured out?