View Single Post
Old 12-23-2017, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I'll agree that "good" guitars mprove with age - further , they improve to sound better for one's individual style after time - i.e. playing encourages the woos to resonate as they dry out and a resonance pattern appears based on your style. I'll also respectfully disagree with the person who buys solely on the basis of how they sound new.
Well, you'd be crazy to buy a guitar that you didn't love the sound of at first.

Quote:
Example : There are times when I have ordered a guitar from the US sight unseen because the model is simply unavailable in the UK.
I think this is crazy, but lots of people do it. Mail-order brides.

Quote:
The latest example is my Santa Cruz which was built in 2012 hung on a wall in a dealers until 2014 when someone bought it and didn't play it. I bought it from him some months later and it was disappointing tonally. I have played it a lot at home to open it up and it now responds to me beautifully.
This is interesting, but it's anecdotal. Perhaps you learned how get the most from it, and adapted to its sound. Once you get to know the mail-order bride, you see her inner beauty!

Quote:
Anther factor that i believe holds back CF guitars is tat they are by intention and design very modern looking and I can't be the only one who prefer their guitars to be or look like traditional (well 20th C) Martin and Gibson designs.
You are safely within the herd. Guitar players want Martins and their clones in brown, thank you, and prefer nothing else. Were CF makers to try to make designs that imitate wood, they'd be scorned for fakery. CF makers are unencumbered by the past, and by the manufacturing processes that limit wooden guitars. They can advance the art. They can build in contours. They can do things that cannot be done with wood. The new materials set the creative mind free. Wooden guitars have plateaued, and have ceased to advance aesthetically. All that's left for wooden manufacturers to aim for is ever-more efficient manufacturing.

Silly, please take a look at the Blackbird Savoy. I'm sure the cutaway is an obstacle, but ignore that, and tell me what you think. Its appearance is brown, like wood, and organic– it's made out of a linen fabric. It has no heel. The back body edges are slightly rounded, not sharp. It sounds like a wooden guitar, and it is LOUD for it's size. Can you not see its appeal?

Merry Christmas from the colonies!