View Single Post
Old 10-12-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Scott View Post
I think through all the years I've been attempting to play "classical" guitar, this third string has been a problem which so far I haven't solved satisfactorily. I think that ultimately it's more down to the instrument itself rather than the maker or type of string and I think you need to spend quite a lot of money to do it.
I play an Amalio Burguet Model 2M which is hardly to be classed as "high-end" (in GB anyway) but it cost more than any other classicals I've had and it still has the problem. It is a cedar fronted Indian rosewood instrument with good projection and a nice tone. Over the years I've tried most makes of string but mainly use one of the Savarez types, High Tension. I've recently fitted a set where the 1 & 2 strings are Nylon New Crystal, 3 is an Alliance and the basses are Cantiga. I'm just playing them in so I'm not sure how they are. They are High Tension. If someone does find an answer they would be helping thousands of student/intermediate players out of a really frustrating rut. (Which is what you get with an ill-fitting G-String!).
Mr. Scott... thank you for your comprehensive answer...

I am hoping this thread will help many of us find what has worked for some of us... there are just to many string options to try them all....

Gene