View Single Post
Old 01-18-2017, 04:02 PM

Smile archtop blues

[Hi 'K' and all you strummers and pluckers

I have a little experience in this matter that hopefully may help you., and so do many others I should say.
During the 60's I played with Sonny boy Williamson, Long John Baldry, Joan Bias, Julie fleix and J. Hendrex. These are just names on a day and don't eally matter but what is important is how one had to play to 'make that mix' for a one off and if you got that wrong you were back on the hog farm!!
At the time I had a 1952 Archtop that was dull. I had no idea why. I went to a music shop ( think about the date!!) and asked if my strings could/would make a difference to the tone of my guitar-- good question.
YES THEY WILL/COULD/WOULD, so I changed the strings that were 20/30 yrears old and the best you will ever fit ( factory string s are the best) and the change was quite extraordinary.
SO/SO WHAT. With the type os music you wish to play you must always be the 'undertone' because that's what you are. So you need to radically change the tone of your guitar.
Here in Europe, guitarists generally do not like the Gibson because it has become a mark, but if you read comments on this site the quality has changed hugely, don't be sucked in.
The 'key' about playing with a singer is PACE. You need to be one millie sec behind the singer to make it work. if you were here by the time you left you will have it. Remember the singer always starts. you follow as the last reath leaves the body.
You can practice this.

I would like to say to all the readers of this extraordinary site, always sing or hum the tune you are playing in that way you will find the pace --THE PACE
if you need more help
write to me on the site I could just be able to help

Stephen