View Single Post
Old 01-07-2017, 08:57 PM

I'd say 17" lower bout, 21" length jumbo size would be good. But if the baritone you liked was smaller, then copy it, and make a different (and larger) shape for the bass, like 18" lower bout, 24" length.

Adapting the basic X bracing pattern to different configurations is relatively straightforward. The bridge location is based off the scale length and joining fret. Soundhole goes somewhere in the vicinity of the waist, usually a bit above. You can fiddle it around a bit depending on how many frets you want.

Once you have those reference points set, put the upper transverse brace just above the soundhole, upper X legs fairly close to it, and make the lower X legs cross under the lower corners of the bridge. Then lay out the rest of the braces in relatively evenly distributed positions.

For the acoustic bass guitar, definitely put a pickup in it. I've never played a hand built one, but AFAIK they're still pretty quiet even at the 18" wide, 24" long, 6" deep size. I really want to try building one sometime and see if I can get comparable volume to plucking a double bass, which seems to be enough for live acoustic groups. I don't think the typically available acoustic bass guitar strings are heavy enough or long enough for it. And to properly utilize high tension strings, I may have to make it big enough that it's only playable in upright position.

Last edited by dekutree64; 01-07-2017 at 09:03 PM.