View Single Post
Old 01-06-2018, 12:21 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Hi Tom,

I recently did a custom order for an X20. One of things I didn't like about the one I'd owned a few years back was the long scale. I was offered three short scales to choose from: 24.9, 24.6 and 24.0. I went with 24.6 based on Alistair's recommendation which he made based on the guitar I was playing at the time I made the order - a Santa Cruz 1929 00 with a 24.75" scale.

I was a little worried about this one aspect of my custom. I knew 24.0" would be too short for the X20 body which was affirmed after briefly owning an X7 with that scale. For a long time while waiting for the X20 build to finish I'd wished I'd gone with the 24.9" because it was a known quantity and the same as my Martin 000-18GE Custom.

But after receiving the X20 I have found the 24.6" scale to be perfect. It gives the guitar an intimacy that I was looking for. I think you definitely sacrifice a little volume with the shorter scale so if you don't plug in that might be a consideration for you. But other than that I have found it to be exactly what I'd hoped and envisioned.

You can read my full review by clicking down in my sig line.
Interesting insight. Thanks Methos! The X20 is widely reported as being quite loud for its size, at least to the player in part because of the soundhole design. If I would opt for a shorter scale, even if a little quieter, I hope the guitar is still considered as being plenty loud, perhaps louder than one might expect.

Also, do the strings feel a little slinkier/less tense than the full scale? Thx.