View Single Post
Old 12-15-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
First, if you had to replace one string, you have to loosen all of them to gain access to the sound hole. Second, you pretty much have to string the guitar by Braille, which might not be that efficient at a gig; and it would make the guitar impractical for any serious gigging. Third, there are so many guitars out there that sound absolutely amazing, that have bridge pins, or a convenient rear-loading string-through bridge, or one of the top-anchored solutions; it would be difficult to prove what positive effect to the voice of the guitar the design offers. Fourth unless you also sell refrigerators to eskimos, this would be a tough sell, even for a well known, established luthier.

That said, I'm not opposed to the concept; I think it's pretty cool. I just don't find myself moving in this direction (though I too have a concept that is pretty off-beat). You seemed to have carved yourself a nice little niche with this and hope it gains some traction for you. I also think it would be fun to experiment with different string plates to see how it affects tone; such as bone, Brazilian rosewood, carbon-fiber, etc...
Your number 1 is viable purely from a convenience point . Of course , I can't remember the last time I broke a string while playing , but that's just me .
Your number 2 is questionable . I had the very same concern until I strung one up . As long as there was 1 string in place or more , my hand found locating the pass hole very easy . Could have done it with my eyes closed .
Your number 3 combines 2 things . Selling a new design in any field is challenging . This is a given . Concerning voicing is interesting since my concept can be applied to any existing standard pin bridge without modification , back to back comparisons using variations on my concept should be seamless and devoid of harm . The only thing that will suffer are strings .
I have 3 different pin bridge guitars here that I will be using for test mules going forward as well as the original that simply lacks the ream to accommodate pins .
Your number 4 returns back to the first of my comments on your number 3 . Full circle .
On thing to consider is that my intent is to utilize a plate material that will conform to any variables in the shape or curvature of the top . I do not intend to have my plate shape or mold the built in shape of the top . Thus the 1/8" thickness .
In the end you are correct that it will be fun experimenting further with this .
The size of the footprint and shape of the plate may also have an effect .
A larger plate or smaller plate will distribute load differently as well as placing more or less mass at a different location .
Let's say that you would like more mass on the bass side as well as less on the treble . It may be possible to do this with the shape of the plate . You may even desire to split the plate in some fashion for a desired effect .
Outside of the box is where we learn .