View Single Post
Old 04-29-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post
I may not be able to help you but your timing is interesting as I was thinking of posting something about my recent experience ... just this week a friend of mine asked me to take his Martin D16-GT home for a few days to adjust the truss rod and change the strings ... having this guitar along side my Taylor's for a few days has just re-affiremed for me the following:

- Martin and Taylor have distinctive tone qualities; Taylor is brighter; Martin is more "velvety" and certainly excels in the bottom end ... it would be cool to "cross" these two tone pallets and see what comes out ...

- Taylor has the better feel, mostly due to the neck; as much as I enjoyed the Martin tone, I couldn't get over how much less enjoyable it was to play compared to my Taylor's (and any other Taylor's I've played regardless of model/price). Taylor has a consistently good feel/neck and this is certainly a hallmark of their success IMO

Perhaps I've just never played a Martin that was setup to my liking but every time I go to a guitar shop and play several guitars, I leave with the realization that Taylor continues to stand out when you consider all the important aspects of what makes an acoustic guitar endearing ... I still would like to find a Martin one day that has that signature tone but plays like butter and has a nice neck feel but I have yet to find one ... don't get me wrong, I think Martins are good guitars but Taylor's are just better when it comes to a solid feel and smooth playing neck ...

Interesting post ... hopefully someone else with more knowledge than I can help us learn of other guitars with necks/feel comparable to Taylor's ...
Curious what you compared the Martin to. A Taylor dread?