View Single Post
Old 01-09-2017, 06:13 PM

My story is a little more mundane.....
I have doing business with Ted and Helene at L.A. Guitar Sales for awhile now. I live twenty minutes away so I've visited the shop more than a few times. I like to think I've put together a collection of guitars that make a nice "team" with everyone playing a role. Oh course it's a delusional rationalization to own too many guitars...but what fun is thinking like that? Every time I visited to audition something I would see the CF guitars hanging on the back wall but I never felt the urge to try one. Then a thread appeared on the AGF....maybe started by Captain Jim...talking about his latest CF acquisition. Something clicked in my head and I found a couple of Al Petteway videos on You Tube. Well they blew me away and I started to really consider the viability of owning one of these. So the next time I was at LA Guitar Sales I mentioned it to Ted and he simply told me to come back when I had some time to play through the range and he would give me "an education". I had convinced myself that I needed a guitar that I could travel with comfortably either by plane or driving (and leaving it in a hot car for a couple of hours). Well the rest is "Marriott Points" or "American Miles" I can't recall. After going back and forth for two hours or so.... I decided on a Rainsong C Om-1100NS, which is very much like the Al Petteway Special Edition. It's 12-Fret Om with the unidirectional top in a smokey muted black Only, I really wanted the "Sharks" and the abalone rosette. Oh... and I didn't want the barn door electronics either. (Just hate the way they look!) Ted said "no problem" and ordered one for me and it arrived in four weeks. Couldn't be happier with it! It's already been to Calistoga and Phoenix and probably New Zealand later this year. Everyone who has heard it is floored by how balanced and musical it sounds.
Keb Mo 00, J-35 Collectors Edition, 12-Fret AJ,
Some Taylors, 612-CE 12 Fret, Custom 12-Fret Walnut, 814CE, Custom 2015 Engleman over Ovangkol GA,752ce LTD 12x12
Rainsong C1100-NS, Recording King RP 626 Schoenberg

Last edited by Rip VanWinkle; 01-09-2017 at 06:25 PM.