Thread: Regret
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2017, 09:12 PM

Default Regret

I started formal guitar lessons when I was 9 and stayed with that teacher for 6 or 7 years. In retrospect he did a wonderful job of drilling me in the basics and foundation every serious guitar player should, in my opinion, receive. Eventually however I outgrew him or simply was wanting a change. I decided I wanted to learn classical guitar.

When I was quite young (16 or 17) I auditioned and was accepted as a beginner student at the conservatory in the city I lived. I took only a few lessons before quitting. The professor had only one opening; at 6 p.m. I had to miss my evening dinner, drive 25 miles in the dark during freeway rush hour as a relatively new driver, park blocks away and walk to the building through a neighborhood that was questionably safe; somewhat frightening. Then I had to face the professor. A severe, scowling man with black bushy hair, bushy eye brows and deep, dark eyes that looked through me. He made sure that I became fully aware that he had studied under the great Andre Segovia. It all was too much for a young boy to endure. Did I mention, he had studied under the great Andre Segovia?

I went off into another direction. I felt driven to advance my guitar playing even if in another direction. In reverse fashion I auditioned and "hired" one of the region's best known jazz guitarists who would become my teacher for several years. I learned a fair bit over the years he taught me. I enjoyed it greatly and appreciated his pleasant, light-spirited personality. We meshed.

Years later I took lessons from another bright young(er than me) guitar player. I learned more.

But my one regret is never having had extended, focused classical guitar lessons. And at my age and where I live in the boondocks it most likely will never happen anymore. My loss.

It is my strong belief that those taught and immersed with a strong classical training have skills and knowledge and approach even the best of non-classic players lack. And it has always seemed that classical players can, if they desire, apply their playing skills to virtually the full array of guitar music...jazz, pop, rock. However few if any rock players (just for example) can hope to approach any sort of credibility as classical players. It's not too unusual for classical trained guitarists to branch off into jazz.

One might suggest some online classes. I don't learn well unless in a face to face environment. And my slow "backwoods" internet connection precludes that as well.

Anyway, just my thoughts and my regret at not getting in depth classical guitar training. Perhaps in another life.